Powered By Blogger

Wednesday 13 January 2010

Random Thoughts; Friendships

People watching is always good for a laugh, trying to guess the relationship/friendship people have by the way they act together.

I'm sure they wont mind me saying but my parents would be classed as 'loners' because they don't seem to particularly enjoy the upkeep of friendships outside of the workplace. Occassionally my dad will go to the pub with one of his mates but these times are few and far between. Luckily my sister and I have not inherited this 'loner' gene to quite an extent! We both enjoy our own company on occassion but we also feel the need to be social with work and non-work friends. We also revel in each-other's company; though we can get a little crazy!

I have a wide range of friends, from colleagues to best friends and all those great ones inbetween. Some friends who I only text every now and again; but it is easy to pick up the strings from the last time we got in touch and go with the flow!

I love it when you get back in touch with people who havent heard from in years and you can just pick up where you left off; this has happened to me recently with a guy called Harry who I went to college with. We were in the same form and had one class together; I dont think I could say we were close friends but we had a laugh - then you leave college and realistically there will only be a few friends that last with you through the years. We lost touch, then friends reunited and eventually facebook came along and BAM there you are again back in touch, it is weird how these things work out. The people I was closest with at college have wondered out of my life bit by bit but making an effort to get back in touch with people is so worthwhile and Harry now plays a stable part in my life and I can only hope that we don't lose touch again - text me!

One of the worst bits about facebook is the fake friendships that can be built up; add me as a friend, then never speak to me but look at my pictures every now and again. Yes I'm your friend on facebook but if we passed each other in the street would you look at or acknowledge me, or speak to me if we bumped into each other in a bar?

True friends are real people! Who you make an effort to spend time with, and friends you find from the age of 21 (maturity) up are the ones most likely to stick with you throughout your future years. I have a group of girlfriends that I have known since High School, we still meet at least twice a year for a catch up! And a best friend who lives in the North West, who I travel half the country to see as often as I can.

To all my friends, those I dont see enough and the rest; I love you all!

1 comment:

  1. Mature at 21? I know a few people who could prove the exception :)

    I LOVE YOU TOO NICKI!!! xxx

    ReplyDelete